Saturday, September 10, 2011

And so the year begins.

Well the first meeting of the year is behind us and I think it went well. We were down staged to the pool hall again this year but we still had a good turnout for the meeting. There were some great carvings to look at and admire. Larry showed us some great footage and gave some practical tips on sharpening. I think the key is to find a system that works for you and practice till you get it right. I learned a few things that I will be trying myself to see if I can get that razor edge a little sharper.

Don't forget to whittle or grind up a Christmas ornament for the October meeting.  Here are some samples  of things members have carved before. The second picture is Pete Leclair's portable sharpener. I got a little nervous at the suggestion to put a drill in your lap and sharpen with one hand. Maybe she had nothing to lose but I have seen small POWER tools run amuk. Ouch! Explain that to the emergency room people.

No comments:

Post a Comment